The Ontario Hockey Association Board of Directors convened Wednesday evening and rendered several decisions which will have a significant impact on the look of the OHA for the 2012 – 2013 season and beyond.
• The Board approved an application on behalf of the Southern Ontario Junior League to move from Junior D to Junior C.
Current Junior D teams will play within their League as a “C” category, but playoffs for the Schmalz Cup may not be available in Year One, unless suitable timelines and playoff formats can be arrived at before the start of the upcoming season.
The teams will be amalgamated and re-aligned into other Junior C Leagues in time for the 2013-14 season.
• Additionally, the SOJHL could include a new team in 2012-13 as the board approved an application from interests in Dorchester for a new team to play in the SOJHL. The application was approved pending the determination of a drawing area for local players for Dorchester as well as a new drawing area for the neighboring Junior C team in Aylmer.
• In other news regarding teams, the Board approved an application by the Owen Sound Greys Junior B team to relocate to Brampton. The Greys were prompted to relocate based on financial struggles they had experienced in recent years.
• An application from interests in Amherstburg to play in the Great Lakes Junior “C” League was denied by the Board. The application lacked League support and fears of impacting on existing members in the immediate area were the underlying reasons for the denial.
• The Board deferred an application for a Junior C team from Desoronto to play in the Empire League pending a league feasibility report.
• An application by the Gananoque Islanders to continue in competition in the ODHA was approved for the 2012-2013 season.
Applications for re-zoning for the purpose of drawing non import players by the Stoney Creek Warriors Junior B team was denied, while an application from the Listowel Cyclones for rezoning was approved subject to the approval of the Mid West Conference of the GOJHL.
For further information contact:
Brent Ladds, President
(519) 622-2402 ext.5
1425 Bishop St. Unit 2, Cambridge, ON N1R 6J9